Monday, August 9, 2010

Steak Sandwiches

I know the title leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but for these, I’m using round steak. I saw this recipe in The Pioneer Woman’s cookbook and she calls these “Marlboro Man’s Favorite Sandwich”. Since I’m not married to that guy, calling them that seems kind of weird.

Anyway, Travis and I really enjoy these sandwiches and they are very easy to make!

IMG_6485

The original ingredients from the cookbook:

  • Round steak, cut into strips 1” wide
  • Onion
  • Butter
  • Seasoned Salt
  • Pepper (The recipe actually calls for Lemon Pepper, but I forget to buy it, and I don’t use it for anything else. So, for me, plain ‘ole pepper works!)
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Tobasco Sauce
  • Rolls; I like to use submarine rolls

Optional ingredients I used the last time I made these:

  • Mushrooms
  • Red Wine

IMG_6486

I had a Shiraz in my cabinet, so that’s what I used, but any good red wine will do.

IMG_6487

It would be irresponsible of me not to taste it before I poured it all over my steak!

IMG_6488

Season the steak with the seasoned salt and pepper.

IMG_6489

Turn to coat.

IMG_6490

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a skillet.

IMG_6491

Add the onions and mushrooms (I’ll use more mushrooms next time…this is all I had in the fridge).

IMG_6492

Break them up and toss to get them all coated in the butter.

IMG_6500

Keep cooking…they’re getting some nice color on them!

IMG_6502

Perfect! Remove from the pan to a bowl and keep them close for later.

IMG_6504

Melt some more butter in the bottom of the skillet. You’ll want your skillet screamin’ hot for this.

IMG_6505

Place enough of the steak in the skillet for a single layer.

IMG_6507

After a minute flip and brown the other side. This won’t take long, so don’t leave! Repeat until all of the steak is cooked. I can usually fit mine into two batches.

IMG_6508

Once all of the steak is cooked, put it all back in the pan…steak, onions, and mushrooms!

IMG_6509

Pour in some Worcestershire Sauce. I like this stuff, so I tend to use quite a bit…maybe even up to 1/4 cup…Travis says I use the stuff like it’s water, so use less if you desire.

IMG_6510

A couple of drops of Tabasco.  I don’t use much, I like the subtle heat. I’m not a big fan of crying from heat while I eat.

IMG_6512

Then pour in some wine. I’ve made these sandwiches half a dozen times already and this was the first time I’ve used wine. Honestly, I could take it or leave it…maybe I should have used more? but I didn’t notice a real boost by the addition.

IMG_6513

Stir, being sure to scrape all of the good stuff off of the bottom of the skillet.

IMG_6515

Let this mixture simmer for 5 minutes or so. The sauce needs to reduce some.

IMG_6517

While the meat is simmering away, cut your rolls into half and butter.

IMG_6518

Then toast them on a skillet until they’re nice and, well, toasty!

IMG_6519

Place the roll down on the plate first…

IMG_6522

And then pile on the good stuff! This is so good served with almost anything! I actually tend not to make a starch since we have the rolls, but any vegetable goes!

Oh, I was just thinking that some bell pepper would be good in this, too, for a change. Just throw those in with the onions. I also keep forgetting to buy some cheese for this, but cheese would be good melted on this sandwich, too!

For us, this typically makes four sandwiches. Perfect for two meals for us. I hope you give them a try, they are really, really good!

No comments: