Thursday, April 29, 2010

Parmesan Chicken Nuggets

These chicken nuggets are not your usual out-of-the-freezer-bag suspects. They are delicious and go with so many side dishes. This recipe came out of the Reader's Digest The Taste of Home Cookbook. I've gotten so many good ideas out of this book! It was a great wedding gift!

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast


Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and all of the spices in a shallow dish.

Cube the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces.

Dip the chicken pieces into the melted butter...

And then dredge them in the bread/cheese/spice mixture.

I line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easier clean up and then I also spray it with non-stick spray. Just to be on the safe side!

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the juices run clear. (This is always closer to the 15 mark for me!)


When you take them out, they will be golden brown and absolutely delicious!

A side note: I end up always using every bit of "batter", so I usually throw a little extra bread crumbs in, but make it a few times and you'll soon see what works best for you!

This is a great treat for Elizabeth since they're nuggets, but Travis and I don't mind eating them at all!

I'm toying with the idea of cutting a whole breast in half to make two thin pieces, then use this batter to bake the breast "whole". Then, using a little marinara sauce and fresh basil-and maybe even a slice of mozzarella cheese-put the Parmesan chicken on two slices of bread and make a panini out of it. Ooo, served with shoestring fries would be amazing!

Oh, now I'm hungry...again. I'll keep the panini thing in mind for a future post!

No comments: