Saturday, August 8, 2009

Canning Figs

This is the first year I've ever had fig trees (we have 2) and they produced lots of figs. These figs were roughly half the size of a golf ball. Since I had already made some fig jam, I decided to try my hand at canning figs.

Wash the figs, leaving the skin and stems intact.

Blanch the figs for 2 minutes in boiling water and drain. Prepare a light or medium syrup. I prepared a medium syrup which means boiling 3.25 cups of sugar into 5 cups of water.

Gently boil the figs in this syrup for 5 minutes.

I canned my figs in quart jars, so I put 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in each jar. Then you pack as many figs as you can into the jars, pushing gently on the figs to pack them well without breaking the skins. With our small figs I was able to get at 100-105 figs in each jar. You then fill the airspaces with the syrup that you boiled the figs in. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace at the top of each jar. Remove all of the air bubbles. Put on your lids and rings and load into the boiling water canner.

Process quarts for 50 minutes in a gently boiling water canner.
Remove and enjoy! We had one jar that did not seal so we put it straight into the refrigerator and have been eating on them. The other two jars both went to silent auction baskets for family reunions.

2 comments:

soccermom10 said...

One of the ladies I work with has a couple of fig trees. They really don't taste the way I thought they would.....pretty sweet and testy!

Ann said...

I tried a few at your moms, they were really yummy !!